Sunday, July 29, 2012

What a Sham

Betsy and I are teaching a class to beginning sewers this coming Wednesday.  We have had most, if not all of the students in a previous class.  Hopefully they will remember some of what we taught them.  Especially how to thread the machine.

We will be making a pillow sham from three fat quarters.  I never work with fat quarters.  I always just used regular dimensional fabric.  This has been a challenge.  We wanted to keep it simple and keep the cutting to a minimum.  As a matter of fact, the plan is for us to do the cutting....that way we might get out of there on time this week.
 I had these fat quarters in my stash.  They were a gift. Thank goodness I had them; saved me a boat load of time cutting up some fabric into fat quarters.  Well, I had to cut some of my own stash into a fat quarter because when I cut the original fat quarter I cut it wrong.  Hence the purple that doesn't quite match.  But check out the stitches.  See how much that 201 likes white thread? 

This was the third pillow cover like this I made.  I made the first at Betsy's yesterday and the second this morning on the 31-15.(We awoke to the alarm clock choking on a brown out.  Fourth time in less than two weeks that NYSEG has failed us).  I love this machine.  It is so smooth and quiet.  No motor.  I did have to adjust the belt a couple of times.  But I think it is just fine now. Check out the knee lifter.  It lifts the presser foot up and when up it lets it down.  Way cool.

In teaching sewing to beginners, it is most helpful to keep it very straight forward and simple.  The draw string bag class was way too complex.  Hopefully this one will be just right.  We will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment