Wednesday, July 25, 2012

So much to sew, so little time

Tonight was our class on how to make a draw string bag.  It went way over time.   I planned poorly, not knowing the audience, and so we ran out of time. But, undaunted we all stayed until the project was done.  True we had to pitch in and help finish the kids' bags, but they were pleased.  I hope.  

Teaching sewing is hard.  I was so lucky to have had my Mom teach me.  I remember sitting on her lap and running the foot controller and she would guide the fabric.  It worked really well.  I don't remember when I graduated to doing it on my own.  But she was a good teacher and let me learn and work independently.   I sewed a lot in high school and then always had a sewing machine once I graduated from college.  My first was a Kenmore.  We used Kenmores in tonight's class.  I love those machines.

We had two 9 year old sisters (two of triplets).  I like to teach kids how to sew.  I think, though, that we cannot do a mixed class.  We had adults and kids in tonight's class.  Kids only or adults only is the best.

We wanted to launch the classes quickly.  Melany's store just opened and she had been getting many requests for classes.  So we jumped in.  Not a bad thing, really.  Educational all the way around.

Next week Betsy is in charge.  And I am happy to defer to her for the last class as well.  Still, I want to do a Saturday class with kids.  That would be fun... 

No comments:

Post a Comment