Friday, February 22, 2013

1936 Singer 201-2

This is one of my five Singer 201-2s.  I am only keeping one.  It is a challenge for me to let these machines go.  I played with this one some more today.  I made a draw string bag for the foot controller and adjusted the bottom tension.  I am happy with its stitch.  The machine definitely likes heavier fabric, for sure.  The more layers, the nicer the stitch.

 I love the motor cover.  Not all of the 201s have that decal on the motor cover.  It adds a classy dimension to the machine.  Yes?
 Nice clean bobbin case.
There is some wear on the decal in front exactly where the fabric passed over the bed.  The front of the bed has some chips in the paint.  Truthfully they all do.  It must come from being put back down in the cabinet.  I can't figure out any other reason why.  There also is damage to the paint where the seam guide was fastened to the machine bed.  But the bed is shiny.  Look how the needle bar is reflected in the paint.
More reflection! (That would be Wrigley all curled up on the couch) I love the chrome hand wheel. 
The feed dog drop does work on this machine.  Even though it is manual and you have to lift the machine up to turn the feed dog drop screw. 

The bobbin winder works nicely.  Smooth, yes?  (That clicking noise is the spool rotating on the spindle. The motor sound variation is my fault.  I can't walk and chew gum at the same time, either.  Fleetwood Mac in the background courtesy of Pandora radio).  For a demo of how the machine sews, go back one post to http://sewingmachinemagic.blogspot.com/2013/02/sews-through-leather-like.html

1 comment:

  1. really interesting about the feed dogs---I had no idea guess that's what I learned for today!! very interesting!

    ReplyDelete