Saturday, June 23, 2012

Why I love my Kenmore 158.1760

I made this little clutch purse today after I got home from my disappointing trip to fetch a Singer 223. http://mysewingmachineobsession.blogspot.com/2012/06/consolation-prize.html

It was a bit of a pain making all those pleats.  I am going to try the Ruffler next time I make it.  Experimentation time.

This is fabric that I got for free at an auction.  You know, the stuff they didn't sell and don't value and leave out at the end for us scavengers to scoop up.  There were a lot of "home decor" samples.   Most of them are about 24 inches square.  That's a lot of fabric.  I love to make bags and 24 inches is a pretty useful size.

Except that I needed a piece 30 inches long for this.  So I found some matching fabric of about the same weight and went to town working on this bag.  The only problme, this fabric frays.  Now if I were an expert with the serger I would have just gotten it out and set it up and that would be that. BUT the Kenmore 1760 is ALL set up and ready to go.   Honestly, I did not want to add to my frustration.  So I used one of the special stitches on the Kenmore to bind the edges.


 Now pay attention.  One hand is holding the camera and they  other is guiding the fabric.  Pretty steady feeding.  And just listen to that machine.  It is a bit rattly at the higher speed.  I may look into that.  But I do love this machine.  It's such a joy to use.

The free arm is another huge advantage. I love the whisper quiet of the 158.511 and the rhythm of the 158.96 but I love a free arm.  Oh I know that I could manage with a flat bed and I have, but still why make life more difficult?  Aren't they pretty stitches?


No comments:

Post a Comment