Sunday, July 29, 2012

Bag Day

I started this bag in March when Betsy and I were getting ready for our sewing classes that never happened.  It is a nine patch quilted tote.  I used fabric from Betsy's stash and I love the colors.
I finished it today.  It had been languishing on the table for all this time.  I originally thought that I would try free motion quilting with one of the 301s.  Today I got an itch to FINISH something and so I just used the 201 and stitched in the ditch.  I thought that a walking foot would work the best and tried the one from my viking.  It is a low shank machine so I thought it might work.  Not so.  The regular foot did a fine job.  More testimony to the wonder of the 201.  I know that my Quilt Designer would not have tolerated that really thick batting without the walking foot.  I'll put up with the finnicky tension just to have the power of that 201. Plus it sewed through all layers effortlessly when I stitched the bag together.

It is completely reversible.  If you ever wanted to be seen in public carrying a bag that looks like men's pajamas. You can see that I did try some FMQ briefly but that was on one of the Kenmores without a darning foot.  It was summarily unsatisfactory.  The stitches are tiny and I am NOT looking forward to pulling them out.  One night when I am watching a movie.....maybe. 
I also finished Anna's bag.  I think that the strap is too wide but it is comfy.  I padded it with baby crib bumper batting that I had left over from another project. 
It too is fully lined.  I think it will hold up for a little while.  I plan to make another and I have already figured out how I am going to attach the strap on the next one.

Max had told me that I should make Anna a big bag with a zipper so I started this one in early June.  I finished it today.
It is fully lined and I think it would make a great overnight bag.  I think I will make a draw string bag for shoes and another for toiletries.  A nice little luggage set for a carry on.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment